Monday, November 22, 2010

Happy Birthday!

My 34th birthday is tomorrow and of course it has me reflecting on the past year.  A year ago I was 40 lbs heavier and on month 5 of a 6 month asthma attack.  I felt like crap.  I probably looked like crap.  I was incredibly disappointed that I had gained 30 pounds and hadn't seen the inside of a gym in close to a year.  But I didn't really feel up to doing anything about it.  I had gone from this workout/diet Nazi to this lump on my couch.  Then January came along and I started feeling better.  By June, I felt like my old self.  It was time to find a new gym and tackle this weight loss demon again.  With the help of my awesome trainer and the support of my friends and family,  I have made huge strides on my journey.  Sure I still have issues with food and some days I would rather do anything than workout but I try each and every day to progress my life rather than regress back to the lump on the couch.  

Tomorrow is a medium day and not just any medium zone day.  It's the mother of all weeks.  The first time I did Week 10 back in August it made me cry.  As luck would have it or in my case as that bitch Karma would have it, I get week 10 for a birthday present.  The infamous week 10 is 5 min warm-up, 10 min in HR Zone 2, 10 min in HR Zone 1 and finally 10 min in HR Zone 2 again.  It sucks.  Running for 10 min at a 6.0 - 6.3 mph or higher is not all that fun.  However, a year ago I wouldn't have been able to attempt it.  My coughing was so bad and all the extra weight would have kept me from doing it.  I would have done what my co-workers suggested and skipped the gym.   I can't wait to do this and prove to myself just how far I have progressed both physically and mentally.  Sure it will suck but at least I will have done something awesome for my birthday and myself!  

Keep your fingers crossed that my new Exerspy (the bodybugg of Gold's) comes like they say on the UPS site.   It is my birthday present and it would be totally cool to have it tomorrow!   Oh and maybe just maybe I'll get my car back too.  I am doubtful on the car but you never know....

3 comments:

  1. Happy early birthday! It's always weird (to me) to realize how much one can change over a course of a year. Good luck on week 10, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday!! Sorry I missed it, but I hope you enjoyed it and got all that you hoped for.
    And may the coming year be full of blessings just for you...

    ReplyDelete