Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Baked Couscous with Zucchini and Herbs

Knee update:  got a new brace and it helped a bunch!  I was able to run without too much pain.

New recipe from Cooking Light.  It originally called for yellow squash but I couldn't find any so I switched it out for zucchini which is extra plentiful right now.

Baked Couscous with Zucchini and Herbs
Yields: 6 servings (1.5 cups)
 
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less sodium chicken broth, divided
3/4 cup uncooked couscous
cooking spray
2 cups zucchini (about 2 small)
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 TBSP chopped fresh basil
1 TBSP chopped fresh oregano (my oregano isn't doing well, so I used some fresh and some dried)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/4 cup egg substitute 
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 400.

Bring 1 cup of broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous.  Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Coat with cooking spray.  Add squash, onions, basil, oregano, and garlic; saute 3 min or until tender.  (I actually let it cook a bit longer so that I could cut baking time in half).  Set aside.  

Combine cheese.  Combine couscous, squash mixture, and half of cheese mixture in a large bowl; stir in remaining chicken broth, egg substitute, salt and pepper.  Spoon mixture into an 8x8 baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining cheese mixture.  Bake at 400 for 35 min or until golden brown.

Verdict:  This was super yummy.  It had really great flavor and is super low in calories (161 per serving).  Both my mom and I had seconds!  We ate it as a main dish but it would also be a great side dish.  Definitely, a new keeper!  

2 comments:

  1. Ohohoh! I looooooove zucchini so will most definitely be trying this ASAP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, Let me know how you like it! I am actually looking forward to making it again!

    ReplyDelete