Thursday, January 9, 2014

Challenge - Week 1

The first week of our WL challenge has come to an end.  We all did well but realize there is a long way to go -- 11 weeks to be exact.  We can accomplish so much during this time and I can't wait to see what each of us can do. 

I made the decision to be all in this time.  In previous years of the gym's corporate challenge, I gave up after the first couple of weeks.  I had little motivation to succeed or a reason to keep going.  It feels very different to be in a challenge with some of your best friends.  We can support and motivate each other to succeed.  We all understand exactly what the other girl is thinking or feeling.  There is nothing more encouraging than tackling this battle with your girls.  

I was talking with my friend and workout buddy last night about my reluctance to share my weight with the group.  I wanted to control the spreadsheet because that way I wouldn't have to tell them.  I ended up sharing but I hated it.  I realized the reason is because I have failed myself and I've failed those I care about (including these girls).  I conquered this mountain once and I was embarrassed that I was having to do it again.  I gained 80 pounds in a year-ish.  Who does that?  Especially someone who runs half marathons and works out.  The answer: a person who actually struggled through half marathons and ate whatever the hell she wanted.  My diet choices had flown out the window.  I didn't want to cook or take care of any of those mundane details anymore.  I wanted life to be easy.  And sadly, the bad choices are usually much easier.  In addition, my job had gotten super stressful and I was barely treading water.  The stress from that hectic study was alleviated so I am starting to feel more like my old self again.  I can do this and I need to do this. 

 My starting weight was 278.8 pounds.  Yikes.  It actually feels good to put it out there.    

The first week went really well for me.  I planned out meals through March (long reason for this).  I tracked my food.  I cooked.  I measured.  I exercised and tried to reach my step goal.  I even drank water (not nearly what I should but some is better than nothing).

I lost 9.4 pounds!  

That is a pretty good start to this challenge.  Here's to Week 2.              
 

No comments:

Post a Comment