Sunday, July 22, 2012

Motivation

A dear friend asked me this week, "How do you stay motivated?"   I was honest and told her it's not easy for me.  I struggle with staying motivated every single day. I fight my runs, I fight the foods I should be eating and I fight the need to workout.  I think we all struggle with our motivation.  It's human nature to want to be lazy and expect something from nothing.  Ultimately, you have to dig deep to find whatever it is that pushes you forward and leads to your success.    

My motivation comes from having a purpose.  Not a goal per se because I have missed plenty of those but having something to train for or something to accomplish. Right now the driving force is a half-marathon in Kauai a) because it's my first major race post-injury and b) it's freaking Hawaii who wouldn't be motivated for that!  I am also motivated to keep my weight in check so I can go zip lining.  It scares the ever loving shit out of me but it's something the old Brigitte would never ever think about.  Pray that I actually can go through with it!  Therefore, 3 days a week I drag my butt out of bed at the crack of dawn so I can run and beat the heat.  I never start without having a mileage goal in mind.  Then I work my tail off to reach it.  A big goal broken up into easily accomplished steps keeps me motivated to get out and do it again!  Today's goal was 9 miles!  I killed it!  In the big picture, I am one run closer to handling this half successfully! 
     
My weight loss has been all over the place and sure that has impacted my motivation to actually eat right.  I spent the last year making excuses about why I could eat crap rather than focusing on eating better.  I mean I was training for a half surely I could eat that entire bag of chips. My poor trainer gave up trying to change my stubborn ass.  She also knew when to force me to stop whining and get my act together!  So now I am making a concerted effort to eat better and make wiser choices.  It is still hard not to eat the entire house after running like a mad woman but now I am trying to make it food that will help my body fuel and heal rather than just fill me up.  I am working hard to eat more fruits and veggies.  It is so difficult but I am giving it my best effort!!  It helps that I have been able to drop almost 10lbs this first month back on the wagon!!  See motivation!    
 
I love strength training!  Really, I do.  But I hate doing it by myself.  If I didn't have Kate pushing me or giving me something to follow I wouldn't pick up a weight at all.  My motivation to lift comes from the group workouts and my trainer.  And now I am digging deep to try harder and do each exercise better than before.  There has always been a time when I just went through the motions and I am trying to give it 100% each time!  My muscles need it but more importantly my soul needs it!   

No matter where your motivation comes from hang on to it and use it to propel you to succeed at every goal you set.  Dig deep and remember, you never regret doing a run or workout but you will regret not doing it!  And do what you love.  Life is too short to do things that aren't fun or enjoyable.  I'm going to keep pounding the pavement for as long as this body allows me!
 
Here is the menu for this week: 
Sunday:  Turkey Burgers
Monday:  Salsa Chicken (crockpot)
Tuesday: Baseball Game (Champions Club, sigh)
Wednesday: LO
Thursday: Fish  
Friday: LO
Saturday: LO

No update next week!  I leave on Sunday for my church's mission trip.  I'll have to fill everyone in on that excitement upon my return!! 

1 comment:

  1. I agree Brigitte...motivation comes from within! Keep up the good work...so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete